Tuesday, February 15, 2011

No daddy... and a trip to the local medical clinic.

Sunday morning, the kids and I packed daddy up and took him to the Fort Myers airport.  He'll be gone all week :(  But I know I shouldn't complain... he left me in Florida, at a beautiful condo with a pool!  I feel incredibly spoiled!!


But something was bound to happen.  It seems things like this always tend to happen when daddy is out of pocket.  Monday afternoon Sammy and Zoe were playing together in the pool.  They were jumping off the side (the bottom ledge) backwards into the pool.  They would look at each other, count and jump like little pencils.  It was adorable.  So cute, in fact that I thought I better snap a picture! So, I quickly grabbed my camera, turned it on, began turning towards them... when I heard a scream.  Now, if you know Zoe you know that you cannot differentiate between an upset cry and a really hurt cry.  So, I calmly turned my camera off, put it away, and began walking around the pool to see what the matter was.  When I was about 1/3 way around, I realized the crying was becoming more intense - oh no, this could be serious - so I started jogging to her.  By the time I got to her, there was a pale pink cloud all around her in the pool.  This WAS serious.  Blood was pouring from her mouth and I couldn't tell where all, but it was time to run.  I grabbed her out of the pool, and quickly carried her into the restroom. (Thank goodness my mom was there with me so she could keep an eye on the other 3 still in the pool!)  It was there that I made a fatal mistake.  I set her down to grab some paper towels... right. in. front. of. the. mirror.  What was I thinking??  She completely wigged out!  And rightfully so... she was covered in blood.  She had split her chin open (or so it appeared). 

Which warranted a trip to...


When we got there, the lady behind the counter told me they were closed!  What?!?? We would have to go to the Fort Myers ER (maybe an hour drive, plus 4+ hours wait).  This was not ok.  So, I turned back around and said, "Are you a nurse?"  She sweetly responded, "No, but did you want me to take a quick look at it?"  Yes, please!  So, both she and a nurse looked at it and said stitches probably weren't necessary and would not be a good option since it was so jagged.  Completely gross.  So instead of a labor-intensive trip to the hospital, we were able to stop by our local CVS on the beach and purchase several dollars worth of super-strength antibiotic ointment, pain reliever, and multiple types of bandaids (including hello kitty and waterproof ones - we do want to go swimming again while daddy is gone!).

What a day!  Thankfully we had been to the post office & the library that morning.  We mailed off our referral acceptance (it is in Alison's hands today!) and then stocked up on books and dvd's.  Thank goodness!!  Because today had to be a no swimming kinda day.  Instead we took a walk... which ended with Charlie falling "a head-over-heels kinda fall" whilst running across the pavement.  Nice.  He's got road-burns and several scrapes to show for it, but- "No, Charlie, we don't have to go to the doctor!"

No comments: