Tuesday, January 29, 2013

blog post 1.28.13


Day 11

Today we took a little day trip to Shamian Island!!!  Oh, how we love that place!  We have such fond memories of staying on the island, strolling around day and night (always in a drizzle at night).  It is picturesque and we just feel comfortable there (for lack of a better word).  It was really fun to be on the island in this gorgeous weather because we got to see soooo many more people out exercising and playing in the park... young and old... often with the older leading the younger.  It was awesome.  Andy even got pulled in for a game of -well, it’s sort of like playing hacky-sack, but with a weighted feather-type thing.  Very fun!




We also had fun just being more relaxed with our group... playing ball, shopping, walking & talking.  The ladies enjoyed the few shops that are still open (sadly, many have closed since the White Swan is under renovations) and everyone enjoyed the park-like atmosphere.  I was just reading about the island a little bit and I found a few sentences that sum it up quite nicely-



On the South side, the river breeze gently blows 

and the water sings lowly. This all adds to the contentment 

people feel while staying in Shamian and they have no desire to return home.



And this is Shamian Island…

*Ok, I know many of these pics could be way better with a little photoshop, but I don’t have time 
for post-processing here in China... SOC (straight out of the camera) will have to suffice!

Ahhh.  Poppy LOVED it too :)  She was a happy little girl!  She had napped so well yesterday, but kept waking in the night with pain from her hand (even though we’d given her a healthy dose of motrin before bed)... so I wasn’t sure how well today would go.  Silly me!  We were going to heaven on earth :)  What’s not to love?!??  She didn’t have any falls either, and that made daddy & mommy very happy!!




Our group met together for a late lunch at Lucy’s.  Andy had decided he’s had enough Chinese food for a while, so this was a great choice for him :)  And I remembered loving their salmon, so we ordered that along with some tasty vegetables and a little bowl of congee for pumpkin.  I think Lucy’s salmon is very possibly the best I've ever had in a  restaurant & it did not disappoint (except for the bones) :)


We made it back to the hotel after 3, so baby got a late nap... especially since we had to do a lot of pop-pops on her big blisters which had filled up again.  But this time they were no big deal to her.  There was no sign of pain at all - which we were thankful for!  So, little bit of pops, and off to sleep :)

After nap, we walked around outside the hotel a while.  There are 2 parks near to the Marriott and we were trying to decide which park to visit - the big one or the little one.  We finally decided the little one would be the wiser choice since we didn’t have a lot of time before getting dark and wanting food.  So, we fired off for it - only to discover that it was an orchid garden that was already closed!  We could see the other park “just across the street” but we would have to go underground to cross and decided to find dinner now and save that adventure for another day :)  We walked around quite awhile, found a Lebanese restaurant that looked questionable... and not much else, so we turned back around and went back to the hotel... entering at Starbucks :)  I got myself a chicken wrap, a scone & some fruit, and then we went back to the Cafe Veranda where Andy ordered a club sandwich & Poppy got some noodles.  I’m sure one of the hostesses was about to snap looking at my contraband, but I enjoyed it anyway :) 

No comments: